January 2018
My First Education Blog!
Before starting my first education course, I did not know what to expect and to be honest with you, sometimes I still don't know! However, my professor really helped "ease" my class into a major course. I love the idea of incorporating what is popular in today's society into class, so of course, I love the idea of connecting on Twitter! Twitter is such a wonderful way to share ideas and ask questions, not only I have I been able to get in contact with classmates, but I have had the opportunity to connect with education students from all over! Not only have I used Twitter as a wonderful way to do a little research, but I have enjoyed YouTube. As you know, you can watch a variety of videos. I have subscribed to a few education vlog pages and have not stopped watching these teachers and their vlogs! One teacher in particular, it is her first year as a kindergarten teacher and she posts once a week and in her vlog, she covers everything from what her week was like, experiences, the material she covered, activities, and how she handles everything. It gives me such a great understanding of what it will be like as a new teacher watching her once a week, along with the other teachers I have subscribed too. If you can not tell yet, I am a huge social media fan. I also love Pinterest! In my free time, I will spend so much time scrolling the different pages about classrooms, crafts, and different objectives. I love this website when I start looking at different standards. Unpacking standards can get a little frustrating as you know if you do not have ideas of how you want to teach it and what is the best way. As I unpack my standard, I will Pinterest different activities and assessments that relate to the NCTCS (everyone thinks it is easy teaching 25 kids at a time doing a crafty activity until they see how much thought was put into it). I on the other hand, never thought this would be easy, but I never thought preparing lessons plans would be so time-consuming. I am so glad I have a professor that explained standards to our class and took time to cover specific tactics to tackle them. I know I will definitely use the methods we learned and the six-point lesson plan outline in the future. At the end of the day, I can not imagine myself doing anything else. I always catch myself daydreaming about my future classroom. I have always thought about having such a hands-zone classroom and incorporating the newest trends that can be used in the classroom, just like our class has. I love my education-250 class!
Even though I am a paper pencil person I really do enjoy going on the internet and looking up hands on activities and different things I can do. Pinterest in my go to and I absolutely love all the creative ideas they have. Also, the six-point lesson plan outline will be my best friend when I become a teacher and have my own classroom. It will be super helpful while I unpack the standards I will be teaching. Even though it seems like there is a lot of things getting thrown at us at once, Dr. Parker has really helped by breaking everything up and making the class interact with each other so we can learn not only from him but our peers also.
ReplyDeleteI think that yes Twitter is a very helpful tool to some people, but I also personally do not benefit from using it. However, I do love using YouTube to find helpful videos for our future career, I would like to know who the kindergarten teacher you watch on YouTube is because I would like to watch her videos and benefit from it too. Pinterest is also a great social media platform to use for creative ideas to use in the classroom. I think that unpacking standards are also somewhat difficult right now because we are just now starting to open our minds up to all of the possibilities to engage the students best and help them better understand. We do have a wonderful classroom and I hope that we can keep up the amount of people we have in the major currently!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your blog, Jess! I completely agree with you on everything. This class can be difficult at times but our professor is great and so are our classmates! I think it's awesome that you have started finding people on YouTube to watch. I am going to have to find those youtubers! I also am a huge fan of Pinterest, I have found so many great ideas from it. I think this is going to be a great semester and we are going to learn so much that we can apply to our future classrooms.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog! I also watch a lot of YouTubers that talk about their classroom experiences and they are very helpful and very honest about what they're dealing with. I'm not really into pinterest mainly because I'm not exactly sure how to use it but I will continue to try! I'm super excited for what the future holds!
ReplyDeleteJessica, YEAH! Glad you are enjoying the class so far! Think about how much you have already learned and how much more we can learn this semester. Keep your future classroom in your mind as you work to complete all the learning experiences this semester and let this be your motivation. In future posts, be sure you are being specific with all areas of the blog checkbric.
ReplyDelete